This powerful mantra was written by Shri Adi Shankara. When Adi Shankara visited the shore temple of Lord Subramanya at Thiruchendur, he fell into a trance and the entire stanzas flowed from him. It is said that the Lord was so pleased with the mantras, words of devotion that came from Adi Shankara, that Lord Subramanya appeared, as stated in the mantra, in front of Adi Shankara. Devotees reciting this mantra will be rid of debts, sufferings and disease. Whoever recites this mantra will attain health, wealth, longevity, wisdom and heavenly abode.
1. sadA bAlaroopApi vighnAdhi hanthri, mahAdanthi vaktrApi panchAsyamAnyA
Though He always sports the appearance of a child, He can crumble the mountains of obstacles. Though He is elephant-faced, He is honoured even by his five-faced father Shiva (sadyojaatam, vaamadevam,aghoram, tatpurusham and iishaanam). Lord Brahma, Indra and the other Devas seek him to fulfil their aspirations. He is known as Ganesha and He is endowed with boundless glory. May He bless me with prosperity!
2. na jAnAmi padhyam, na jAnAmi gadhyam, na jAnAmi shabdam, na jAnAmi chArttham
I know not the science of musical sounds, I know not the meanings of complex texts either, I know not the nature of slokas made of four types of padaas, nor do I know the intricacies of the gadhyam style! But in my heart, shines an effulgent light with six luminous faces, and because of that, from my mouth, amazing phrases with musical tone and meanings pour out in extempore.
3. mayUrAdhiroodam mahAvAkyagUdam manohArideham mahachittageham
O Son of Mahadeva! Seated on the peacock chariot, being the essence of the great maha vaakyaas, having wonderfully attractive body, dwelling in the heart of great sages, O the quintessence of four Vedas! Thou are indeed the Lord of the Universe.
4. yadhA sannidhAnam gathA mAnavA me, bhavAm bodhipAram gathAsthe thadhaiva
O Lord Subramanya! Son of spotless Parashakti [the Mother of the Cosmos], Thou have taken your abode near the sea shore Tiruchendur as if it is an indication that whenever the devotees take refuge in Thee, they can easily cross the ocean of samsara (the eternal cycle of life and death) and reach the other side of the shore safely!
5. yathAbdhes tharangA layam yAnthi thungA, thatthaivA padha sannidhou sevyamAne
The waves of worries that haunt the minds of the devotees get destroyed like the waves of the ocean when they hit the shore; Thou stands on the sea-side town of Tiruchendur exemplifying this truth that the mental worry-waves get destroyed when the devotees surrender themselves at Thy feet. O Lord Guha (one who resides in the cave of the heart)! I meditate on you always!
6. girou mannivAse narA yedhi rUdA, thadhA parvathe rAjathe thedhirUdA
O Lord Shanmukha! Thou stands on the top of the Sugandha hill, proclaiming that whenever the devotees climb this hill it will give the same benefit as climbing the king of mountains (Kailas)! May the six-faced Lord on the Sugandha hills remain there to bless me!
7. mahAmbodhitheere mahApApachore, muneendrAnukoole sugandhAkhya shaile
On the shores of the great ocean which steals away the sins of the devotees, stands the Sugandha hills, the most favourable site for the sages to perform their penance! Thou resides there to destroy the worries of the devotees! O self-luminous Lord who is present in the cave of the heart! I adore Thee!
8. lasat swarna gehai nrinAm kAmadohe, sumasthoma sanchanna mANikya manche
In a radiant golden bedroom, on a cot set with rubies and covered on all sides with sweet smelling flowers, Thou art seated with the effulgence of a thousand suns! Thou art the answer to every desire of the heart and Thou fulfils the righteous desires of Thy devotees! Thou art the Lord of Devas and son of the Lord of the universe! O Kartikeya I meditate on Thee!
9. raNat hamsake manjuleth yanthashoNe, manohAri lAvaNya peeyusha poorNe
Let the mind (like a bee) which is burdened with domestic troubles become happy by hovering around Thy lotus feet which is adorned with the jingling ringlets made of rings and beads, red in color indicating grace, filled with the nectar of beauty which attracts the minds of the devotees.
10. suvarnAbha divyAm barodh bhAsa mAnam, kvaNath kinkiNi mekhalA shobha mAnam lasad dhemapattena vidhyotha mAnam, katim bhAvaye Skanda te deepya mAnam
Oh! Skanda, I meditate on Thy waist which is covered by a gold coloured cloth, shining with a string of ringing bells and beads, wearing a shining gold belt over the golden silk cloth, and which is by itself self-resplendent.
11. pulindesha kanyA ghanA bhoga thunga, sthanA linganA saktha kAshmeera rAgam
Oh! conqueror of Tarakasura! By embracing Valli's (hunter's daughter) well-developed breast ornated with saffron, Thy chest became red coloured, thereby manifesting your eternal grace towards devotees.And such a chest I adore.
12. vidhou kluptha dhandAn svaleelA dhri thAndAn, nirasthebha shundAn dvishath kAladhandAn
Oh! Shanmukha! Thy arms punished Brahma, Thy arms govern the world as Thy play; Thy arms killed Soorapadma and other demons who are enemies of Indra; Thy arms are matchless in protecting the Universe, and Thy arms are a terror to Thine enemies.I worship Thy twelve arms which do all these things effortlessly.
13. sadA shAradA shan mrugAngkA yadhisyu, samudyantha eva stthithAsh cheth samanthAth
What can I compare to Thy six faces! If there be six full moons free from blemishes and if those moons be ever shining on all sides, even then they would be no match to your effulgent faces.
14. sphuran mandahAsai sahamsAni chanchath, katAkshA valeebhringa sanghojvalAni
Oh! Son of Parameshwara, I see Thy six smiling faces shining like a group of swans, having gleaming side glances ever moving like a row of bees and with red lips overflowing with nectar.
15. vishAleshu karNAntha dheergesh vajasram, dayAs yandhishu dvAdha shas veekshaNeshu
Oh! Son of Parameshwara! Oh Merciful Lord! When Thou hast twelve broad long eyes extending upto ears, what will Thou lose by casting that side glance for a moment (on me)?
16. suthAngodhbhavo mesi jeevethi shad dhA, japanmantra meesho mudhA jigrathe yAn
Oh! Lord of the Universe! I offer my prostration to Thy six heads wearing crowns with brilliant rubies which protect the welfare of creatures, which were smelt by Parameshwara with joy uttering six times the mantra "Child Thou were born of me, May Thou live long."
17. sphuradh ratna keyoora hArAbhi rAma, chalath kuNdala shri-lasadh kandabhAga
Oh Kumara! Son of Lord Parameshwara (who destroyed Tripura)! With garlands of brilliant rubies on Thy shoulders and chest, with bright cheeks shining with pendants dangling from Thy ears, wearing silk garment around Thy waist, and with Vel in Thy hand, Oh! Lord appear before me (It is said that Lord appeared before Acharya when he sung this stotra)!
18. ihAyAhi vatsethi hasthAn prasArya, aah-vayath-yAdha-rAch-shankare mAthu rankAth
When Lord Shankara called Thee affectionately with arms extended, Thou hurriedly rose from Mother's lap and rushed into Shankara's arms who embraced Thee affectionately.I meditate on such a Lord Kumara.
19. kumAresha soono Guhaskanda senA, pathe shaktipAne mayUrAdhirUda
Oh Kumara! Oh Son of Lord of the Universe! One who shines in the cave of the heart as Guha! Oh Skanda! Oh Lord of the Devas' Army! Oh Wielder of the weapon Vel which is the svarupa of Parashakti! One who rides on the peacock chariot! Oh Beloved of the Hunter's daughter (Valli)! Destroyer of the sins of your devotees! Enemy of Tarakasura! Oh Lord protect me!
20. prashAn thendriye nashta samngnye vicheshte, kaphod kArivaktre bhayoth kampi gAthre
Hail Guha, Dayalo.During the last moments of my life, when I will have lost control of my senses, when I will have lost consciousness, when I will be unable move my limbs, when I will be emitting foam of phlegm, when my body will be trembling with fear of death, when I will have none to protect me, Thou must hasten to give me darshan then.
21. krithAn thasya dhooteshu chandeshu kopAth, daha chindhi bhindheethi mAm tharja yatsu
Oh! Lord, when ferocious messengers of the God of Death come to torture me angrily shouting, "Burn him, Kill him", Oh! Lord Thou must hasten to appear before me, riding on your peacock, carrying Shaktivel, to encourage me not to be afraid.
22. praNam yAsa kruth pAda yosthe pathitvA, prasAdya prabho prArthaye (a)nekavAram
Oh Merciful Lord! I am prostating to Thy feet often to secure Thy blessings. Oh treasure house of mercy! I offer prayers to please Thee. Thou should not be indifferent towards me during my last moments. At that time I may not have the control and energy to pray to Thee!
23. sahasrAnda bhokthA tvayA ShooranAmA, hathas tArakas simhavaktrascha dhaitya
O Lord! Thou hast slain the demon Soora who ruled the thousand universes! So were the demons Taarakasura and Simhavaktra. But Lord,why have you not killed the demon called mental worry which haunts my mind? When it is afflicting me, what will I do? And where will I go [other than you for help]?
24. aham sarvadA dukkha bhArA vasanno, bhavAn deenabandhus tva dhanyam na yAche
Oh Son of Uma! I am always troubled by the mental worries.Thou art the friend of helpless! I approach none but you for saving me. Quickly destroy my mental worries as they interfere with my devotion towards Thee!
25. apasmAra kushta kshayArsha prameha, jvaronmAdha gulmAdhi rogA mahAntha
Oh Conqueror of Taraka! Severe epilepsy, leprosy, consumption, lung diseases, venereal diseases, fevers, mental diseases of all types, they run away the moment they see Thy vibhuti contained in a leaf.
26. drishi skandamoorthih shrutou skandakeerthih, mukhe me pavitram sadA tach- charitram
Always may I have before my eyes the murthi of Lord Skanda! Always let my ears hear only the praises of Lord Skanda! Always let my mouth sing the praise of Lord Skanda! Always let my hands be of service to the Lord! Always let my body be a servant to the Lord! Let my limbs, thoughts and actions be devoted to Skanda!
27. muneenA muthAho nriNAm bhakti bhAjAm, abheeshta pradhA santhi sarvatra devA
In all the worlds there are Devas to grant the boons of sages and great bhaktas. But for the lowly and ordinary devotees, I know not of any other Deity to protect them except Guha!
28. kaLathram suthA bandhuvarga pashurvA, naro vAtha nAree gruhe ye madheeyA
Oh Lord Kumara! Let my wife, children, relatives, friends, other men and women in our household, venerate Thee! Praise Thee! And always be absorbed in Thy thoughts!
29. mrigA pakshiNo dhamshakA ye cha dushtAs, tathA vyAdhayo bhAdha kA ye madhange
Oh! Destroyer of Krauncha Shaila! Let every thing that troubles my body, birds, beasts, insects, severe diseases, be pierced by Thy powerful weapon Vel and taken far away and destroyed.
30. janithri pithA cha svaputrA parAdham, sahethe na kim devasenAdhi nAtha
Do not the parents overlook the faults of their children? Oh! Chief of the army of Devas! I am a small child. Thou art the Father of the Universe.Oh Mahesha! Forgive all my faults.
31. namah kekine shaktaye chApi tubhyam, namah chhaga tubhyam namah kukkutAya
I bow to Thee, O Peacock (the symbol of Vedas)! I bow to Thee, O Shakti Weapon (Vel is Parashakti herself), I bow to Thee, O Sheep (the symbol of maya tattvam), I bow to Thee, O Rooster (the symbol of Ego), I bow to Thee, O Ocean (the symbol of ananda), I bow to Thee, O Tiruchendur Shrine, I bow to Thee, O Lord Skanda! I bow to Thee again and again! Let all my prostrations reach Thee!
32. jayA nanda bhooman jayA pAra dhAman, jayA mogha keerthe jayA nanthamoorthe
O Source of ananda, reveal Thyself! O Embodiment of boundless effulgent light, reveal Thyself! O Lord! who has all pervading glory, reveal Thyself! O Embodiment of bliss, reveal Thyself! O Lord, Thou art the ocean of bliss, reveal Thyself! O Lord who is the friend of all creatures, reveal Thyself! O Lord, Son of Parameshwara, Bestower of liberation, reveal Thy Glory to me and protect me!
33. bhujangAkhya vritthena kluptham sthavam yah, pateth bhakti yuktho guham sam pranamya
That holy devotee, who prostrates to Lord Guha, reciting the Bhujanga stotra daily, with devotion, will be blessed with good sons, good wife, wealth and long life, and at end of his life, will attain eternal bliss with Lord Skanda.
WILL UPDATE MORE SLOGAMS